Sunday, October 18, 2009

kermis

So, I was walking down the street by the Dam the other day, as I am wont to do, and they had set up a bit of a carnival. Jammed it actually, onto Dam Square in a way that makes it seem like it's liable to overflow onto the streets and over the tramlines and tourists at any moment. I love the juxtapositioning of the old stone Koninklijk Paleis and the Nieuwekerk, with the gawdiness and larger-than-life lights and noise of the travelling fair.

Normally, I just kind of ignore whatever amusement is going on at the Dam, since only tourists really seem to participate anyway, but this was a little bit amazing. Plus, I wanted to see what kinds of games, and more importantly, food were to be found at a Dutch carnival. Luckily, I had some friends visiting from out of town and so got to play tourist (without the guilt that seems to come with it since I am trying to 'fit in'.)

So, just look at all the goodies! A huge candy stall! With lots of sugary sticks of things (including liquorice flavour, which is very popular here). Candy floss (of course), and popcorn were also present. But so was a dangerously delicious smelling warme waffel stand (which exclaimed that it was really what Holland was about in fancy, 'traditional' scroll-like script), a place selling
all kinds of deep-fried pastries, as well as a Vlaamse frites (Flemish fries) stand, a place with all kinds of sausages and meats, a nut shop and "Mr. USA" (which sold churros).





Quite interesting. I think that the frites stand was my favourite. I mean, look at it. It's got a cut-out of a woman in what I'm assuming is a traditional costume. Plus the chalet style. Which I haven't really seen either here or in Belgium (on my brief trip...).

Anyway, it was quite fun, and I went on both the gigantic swings (at 60m in the air, freely circling over the tops of all buildings in the vicinity, exciting and a bit scary) and the 'Diamond Wheel' ferris wheel. I was a little sad to see that all the horses on the carosel, which was beautifully painted, had been replaced with things like fire-trucks with flashing lights, but you can't win em all...

No comments:

Followers