Sunday, November 1, 2009

in a land without hallowe'en...

Since I've been here, my mother at least, has been surprised that the holidays are different in the Netherlands than in Canada. Earlier this month, she was surprised that the Dutch don't celebrate Thanksgiving (in October or November), and today she was surprised to learn that Hallowe'en isn't a thing here either.

Well, it isn't really a thing here, at least among the Dutch. It's kind of a globalized import commodity. I have seen a few posters about the city in recent weeks advertising parties (often with a pricey cover charge), but other than that, Hallowe'en is still generally seen as an American holiday, and is only really enjoyed by expats and tourists. I've explained a few times to people here that in Canada, Hallowe'en is popular among kids (for the candy and excuse to dress up in a fun costume) and among young people in their 20s or so (for the booze and excuse to dress up in a costume...). I've been told that the Dutch have kind of a similar holiday (at least as far as the children are concerened) in Sint Maarten's Dag, which happens in November.

I actually quite like Hallowe'en. It's a holiday that combines the morbid and terrifying with the whimsical and fanciful, plus there's candy! What's not to love? I do, however, have a habit of missing out on fabulous parties (though a couple years ago a friend and I made it down to the Toronto's 'gayberhood' - which was a dance party of the most amazing costumes I have ever seen.) Not surprisingly, I missed out on the party again this year. While the anthropologist in me is looking forward to hopefully seeing children parading around with paper lanterns on November 11th, the girl who likes Hallowe'en in me was pleasantly surprised to spot a party spilling out onto the street as I left a restaurant with my friend this evening - especially since one of the revellers was a guy in a Leafs jersey.

No comments:

Followers