Tuesday, December 1, 2009

tis the season... to think critically about culture and race?

So, once again proving that anthropologists can never really go on vacation (at least in the sense of leaving their work behind), look what I found when I was in Rotterdam:


Yep, you know I had a lot of questions about this one. I will come back to it a bit later...

As I wrote about before, the tradition of Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet have intruigued me since before I arrived, but seeing how this festive season unfolds first-hand has got my brain a-buzzing in geeky as well as childish delight. I was lucky enough to see the official arrival of the saint in the Netherlands earlier in November. And on Tuesday evening I was told by my flatmates that I needed to bring a shoe down to the kitchen. I was a little confused, since I thought that Sinterklaas came on December 5th. Apparently though, since he's here from mid-November, he is available to pick up children's letters and leave some presents before then. So, when I went downstairs with my boot I found that laid out on the kitchen table (since we have no fireplace) were all of our shoes, a bowl of water and a carrot for the white horse of Sinterklaas. Then we stood around our shoes and had to sing some songs to show that we were nice. I didn't know any of the words to the songs, and so one of my flatmates suggested that I write Sinterklaas a letter and ask him to bring me the songs. I wrote my little letter (in Dutch, of course) and stuck it in my boot and then was told to go to bed. The next morning I was pleased to find that Sinterklaas did think I had been nice enough, and he had left me not only a nice chocolate figure of himself and his helper, but a magazine with a nice cd with all the songs! Very exciting.

Going from these gezellig traditions among friends to thinking critically about the history and imagry of them makes one little anthropologist very happy. The range of discussion about Sinterklaas and his Zwarte Pieten friends is quite broad here. And this is where the bizarre poster I alluded to above comes in. It should be noted that I came across it after walking past a parade with the saint, and many Zwarte Pieten playing instruments and promenading through the downtown heart of Rotterdam. There were two others posters like this one of a deranged Sinterklaas, but featuring a shirtless Zwarte Piet with the words "zwarte van roet" (black as soot) written across his chest, and some crazy, woolly horned character who I had never seen before. The link takes you to STEREOPIET.nl, which seems to be a project in which the author urges Dutch people not to stop celebrating their traditions, but to think critically about their history. As of now, there is only a summary of the research and a whole lot of reactions (mostly in Dutch) to the site, which also show the spectrum of feelings over the holiday. Interesting!

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

I was reminded about this whole phenomenon recently as I just got back from a few days in Flanders, and saw a Christmas ad with kids dressed up as zwaarte Piet in front of a grocery store there. That's interesting to hear that there is actually a debate on this in the Netherlands. In Germany, it's a pretty common thing for people to dress up in black face (among other things, also as spaghetti western Indians etc.) during Carnival or to use black face for one of the three wise men during Christmas plays, and every German I've ever talked to about it has insisted up and down that there was absolutely nothing problematic about that, because nothing "bad" was meant by it.

Rhiannon Mosher said...

ooh that is really interesting! especially in light of how some other issues (i.e. immigration type stuff) seem to be playing out differently in germany at the moment. i think that here there are a lot of people who are of a similar mind as what you say about germans, but i think even more people are saying, yes maybe we should do something about it, but we should think about the children and not ruin the holiday for them by having too much politically correct debate and makinf drastic changes.

stereoTIEP said...

Dear rhiannon,
i tried to send you an email but it was rejected.
I would be grateful if you find the time to send me a quick mail to raiodosol3000@yahoo.com.

I have a few questions about
"The Perils of Belonging: Autochthony, Citizenship, and Exclusion in Africa"

and

furthermore
i could tell you a few interesting thing about stereopiet

:-)

Greetz

Phil

Followers