Monday, April 19, 2010

getting the word out: interviews!

I've been here, in Amsterdam, hanging out, being a sociocultural sponge (or anthropologist as we're sometimes called), for a while now. In fact, my little red agenda tells me I only have about 100 days left (where did the time go?!) before I have to return to Canada and start making sense of all these notes, experiences, discussions, observations and ideas. Oh, and interviews!

Yes, I am now at the point in my research where I am actively trying to find folks to interview. I have done two interviews with very interesting people thus far, and happily have another two lined up over the coming weeks. But, I would really like to do more.

Although things have changed slightly since my initial research proposal in terms of finding people to tell me about their everyday lives and opinions about what it means to belong in Amsterdam and the Netherlands (shifting the focus from neighbourhoods to networks), I am still absolutely interested in talking to people who have some kind of professional interest in issues of 'Dutchness', citizenship, immigration and integration. Currently, I am trying to find people to interview who participate in voluntary work to discuss these things as well. I've contacted the organizers of the volunteer organizations I have been working with here - including the language-oriented programs of Gilde Amsterdam (SamenSpraak) and Hart Voor Amsterdam (Native Speaker Project) - and hopefully the replies will start trickling in very soon! (Thank you to Dominique at the Native Speaker Project for helping me to get the word out to the other Native Speakers!)

So, here's to getting the word out! If you know of anyone (preferably living in Amsterdam) who either has a professional interest (as a social worker, a language teacher, an inburgering-cursus instructor or participant, artist keen on representations of belonging in the Dutch context, etc.) or is involved in voluntary work who would like to have a bit of a formal chat with someone researching questions of feeling at home in Amsterdam and the Netherlands, please feel free to send them my way!

No comments:

Followers